
I was driving to work this morning and I just got so excited with the idea that its almost Halloween. Its my favorite day of the year. Even above my birthday. I'm not entirely sure where this love of Halloween came from but I know its been there my whole life.
Since I was little I've loved Witches and Vampires and Werewolves and Ghosts.... the whole package. I used to research it and how it started and evolved. I loved reading books on it and my mom used to worry that I was possessed lol. They used to throw away my Anne Rice books. But my mom is my mom. I thought it was so funny when Twilight came out. A BYU graduate writing about vampires... tee hee hee.
I look at my life and see just how much of it relates to the Halloween theme. I've had my issues with religion for a while and the one that has appealed to me most lately is Wicca. I've always been interested in it, but it hasn't been until lately that I've actually taken the time to read about it and truly understand what it is about and about its history. Definitely an interesting religion and nothing about what I was told about it growing up is true. I see the same negative lies being instilled in Gabby and though I can't control what she is being taught, I'm trying to instill in her the idea that not all Witches are bad. I do consider myself one, but I don't want to tell her that and give myself a negative title just because I know that she'll talk to her mom and Grandma about it and I don't need them saying anything negative about me to her. Now once she is in my home for sure then I can change a few things they've taught her. Not because its wrong but I just think she should have a broader view to look at things.
I was reading about the witch trials and how people were so blind to what the true witches were that they were constantly accusing innocent people of doing "evil" and killing them. Back then if you were a woman that owned a cat they would burn you and the cat. No reason other than you owned one. I look at my little fat Bynx and think just how lucky we are to be together in this century. That was when the families that practiced true Wicca went underground and faded. It wasn't until a brave author went and lived with one of the old families and asked their permission to write about the truths did it resurface. Of course during the time it was underground horrible lies were being told about it and people believed they worshiped Satan. FYI Wiccans don't believe in Satan. They believe to give evil a name is to create it. They believe in just being. Whatever you do creates a consequence. If you do something bad you get bad things back. If you do something good you get good things back. Its a very simple concept and one that is extremely old, back to the beginning of mankind. Satanists are the ones that worship Satan, and they are not very nice people and they do a lot of bad things. Most of them end up in prison. Wiccans tend to be law abiding citizens that work hard, many have gardens, and try to be genuinely nice people. Willing to help and like making things better.
I've been trying to learn the Tarot. There is so much more to it than just flipping cards and reading from the little booklet. I went and looked into websites written by people that have been doing it for a long time. Obviously there is a ton of symbolism to tarot. Each card meaning something different. I've currently been working on the Major Arcana and after reading through several different websites they are starting to make sense. There is a lot of religion in them, holy cow. Tons of religious meaning. Now I know why they suggest you use the Rider-Waite deck when you first start. Every color or symbol on the card means something. With the different decks out there - I have the Vampire Tarot and the Victoria Francis Favole Tarot - the pictures are completely different. And the Minor Arcana's 4 suits are different. Lots to learn still though.I've been doing so good with not spending money. Its so hard though. Since we have a house now I want to go crazy with yard and house decorations for Halloween. Dave's more worried about Christmas though. So I figured I'll wait til after Halloween and get all the good stuff on sale and then he can go crazy for Christmas and I'll go crazy next year. We're still trying to figure out if we'll have the kids or not and what parties - if any, we'll go to. Last year was a rough one. Lol I almost hurt this chick that couldn't understand to keep her mitts off my man. Dave didn't even know she existed lol. It was kind of funny to watch her try over and over and not get anywhere but frustrated. I didn't touch her just yelled and threatened a lot. But the nice thing is I haven't seen or heard of her since so can't complain, the other ladies there said that they've had issues with her too. Hopefully this year will go with no problems. Keeping the fingers crossed. I've been a good girl this year so hope Karma will smile on me.
One thing I do wish we could do is go out east to like Boston and the old English towns up in that area. My dad said they are way awesome to be around on Halloween. Maybe next year. One thing I do think I could do this year though is get my brothers and maybe my sisters to come take some Halloween pictures. My friend Jenny and Tiffany are way good at makeup and Tiffany is a great photographer as she has proven with my family pictures. I think it'd be fun to get them all together and get dressed as vampires or witches and take some pictures at dusk. That would be way cool. I'll have to run it by them and find out.
Heather...
ReplyDeleteYou are AWESOME!
If you are interested in angel cards, I have a deck I can't say that I'm an expert, but I'm a practicing card-reader, lol.
ReplyDeleteMy friend Jacque is a natural at it. Angel cards huh? I bet the are pretty
ReplyDelete